tales of audrey the girl and theo the newt

stories and thoughts about a girl named audrey, her cold-blooded but lovable newt theo, and the extraordinary adventures of everyday life

Saturday, June 24, 2006

lots of thoughts; few transitions

Life is still relatively uneventful, and I just keep insisting on writing about it.

Work in the lab has been pretty good. I'm learning how to do something new, which is always an exciting thing in life. Oh, and after four weeks of failing to get good results, I finally got a colony of bacteria to grow. This is encouraging news, and I'll find out on Monday if it is really what I want. Regardless, the procedure I have been working on since the first week I got there is FINALLY working, and that is very exciting news. I got an e-mail from payroll saying that I can't work more than 40 hours a week. This is good, I guess - it gives me an excuse to not work too late or on weekends. At the same time, it's sort of disappointing that I can't record any more than 80 hours per pay period. Oh well... there are certainly more important things than money.

Speaking of more important things... the Bible study and worship nights at the CC House have been good. I've gotten to know a couple of girls. One of them is really quiet, and she seemed really surprised when I came up and asked how her trip home this past weekend went. The other is the exact opposite - she has lots to say, and she usually says it loudly. We don't have Bible study this Monday, but I'm looking forward to next Monday. It will be the first one with both of the girls, and I am hoping the quiet one will contribute in that setting. I'd really like to hear what she has to say about the things we discuss.

Everyone on the Puebla team was given a devotional. Each day has something simple: a short passage of scripture, questions to answer, or things to think about. Each week has a different theme. Last week was community, and this week is "goals and dreams." We have been challenged to set goals (for ourselves and the team). I really want to set specific goals, and I plan to spend the week thinking about them. I'm going to take some time Monday or Tuesday and go to a park or something, and just sit and pray. I think specific goals can be good, because it's really an opportunity for God to show Himself and His glory. A goal of "I want the ministry to grow" is impossible to measure... is one new person proof of success? But a goal of twenty new members, or twenty baptisms, or something... that's something that can be measured. I'm not saying I want to just pick a huge number and hope God shows up. Instead, I want to take time to pray, and really seek God's will. I feel like seeking His goal is the best way to do this: if we seek His desires, and really push for something that we believe God to be seeking, then we will find success and, in turn, glory for the Lord.

I have also decided to buy a notebook as my "Mexico" journal. I'm not sure what it will include, but I know that it will have at least seven pages already: one for each member of my team, so I can record their answers to devotional questions, and one for prayers and dreams for the ministry. We'll see where it goes from there.

Sorry for the complete lack of transitions in this entry. I know an English teacher who would hate it; however, he would love my use of semicolons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home