tales of audrey the girl and theo the newt

stories and thoughts about a girl named audrey, her cold-blooded but lovable newt theo, and the extraordinary adventures of everyday life

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Lessons I've learned...

It's time for a little bit of reflection on the past year. We're going to "short, concise" thoughts. So, here's what I've learned about:

my community

- I can be a part of a Christ-centered community. (An important part, even!)
- People are, generally, much more understanding than I expect them to be.
- The idea that those who care about me do so regardless of my mood/emotions at a given moment is not so a fantasy.
- In fact, opening myseful up to others actually can strengthen relationships.
- It is easier (and more fun) to laugh with people that I know that I can cry with, too.
- Although I may have "church friends" and "non-church friends," it's possible to blur the line between groups. In fact, the consequences of doing so can be amazing.

myself

- I'm capable of opening up to others
- I'm not incapable of feeling God. I know that's a double negative, but that's how I had to learn it.
- I am not controlled by schoolwork or grades.
- I can let go of pain, unhealthy relationships, and guilt.
- I can feel the love of God, and I'm learning to share that love with people I care about.
- It's so much more fun to be free than locked in my self-imposed cage of guilt and shame.
- I can be a person fully pursuing the love of God; I like that person a lot.

God

- He believes in me.
- He was never hiding or far away from me - I just wasn't ready to look up and see Him.
- He never wants distance between Him and me. I'm the only one that can create that distance.
- Follwoing God is scary. But, if I just focus on following Him, and not trying to figure out how to do it, then I can be halfway down the path He set out for me before I ever realize what I'm doing.
- God works through pain; just as often, though, he works through laughter, hugs, late-night excursions, and trips to the dining hall. It's amazing to look back and see that we aren't alone during painful, lonely times. But if you look back at the best, most fun times, you'll see Him there, too.

Let's hope many more lessons are to come this summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home