tales of audrey the girl and theo the newt

stories and thoughts about a girl named audrey, her cold-blooded but lovable newt theo, and the extraordinary adventures of everyday life

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

a compilation of random thoughts

I think I forget how much I enjoy reading during the school year. I do it some, but not nearly enough. I still do a lot of reading, but much of it consists of my organic chemistry textbook, essays for classes, and dense engineering texts. So now that I'm not bogged down with homework this summer, I'm taking advantage of the opportunity and getting some reading done. I finished "A Wrinkle in Time" this morning at work, and I checked out the other three books in the quartet from the library this evening. I can't believe I never read anything by Madeleine L'Engle as a child - I really loved "A Wrinkle in Time," and I'm looking forward to the next few of them, as well. I'm glad I had a decent summer reading list to steer me towards these classics I somehow overlooked.

Life is going pretty well. I get along with my mom pretty well, for the most part... as well as can be expected, considering there are just two of us in the house and she is, well, my mom. Sometimes it still surprises me how differently we look at things. It's surprising to me, too, that I'm more conservative than my mother. Although we share many of the same political views, our reasons for those views are often radically different. It seems like that's the reverse of what happens to most people - isn't the kid supposed to be the one who pulls away from her parent's conservative ways?

I feel like I had a lot more to say, but I guess I don't. I've wanted to write on here for a few days now, but I guess I don't have a lot to say. I'm starting to feel comfortable in my routine, and I'm hoping to get involved with and start finding a community later this week. I'm starting to feel like I'm on the cusp of something big. Mexico seems to be a ways off, but it's on the horizon. I'm excited, and most days that excitement is greater than the fear of leaving behind the familiar. I finally decided which three hooded sweatshirts to bring with me (trust me, I can't cut it to less than that), and that's a step in the right direction, right?

That's all for now, I suppose.

2 Comments:

Blogger Claire Elizabeth said...

You've really inspired me to want to read all the Wrinkle in Time books again...I wonder how I could get them...hmm...

I'm so glad you've enjoyed them, though. After you finish the next few, you should move on to A Ring of Endless Light (you don't really have a choice - it's my all-time favorite.) There are a couple of others that go along with that one, too...Troubling a Star is one of them. Oh, also, the one I was trying to tell you about the other day about the girl who goes back to the Stonehenge era is called An Acceptable Time. Another one I read earlier this year that was really interesting, if a little dark for my taste, is The OtherS Side of the Sun.

I think I've pretty much made you busy for the rest of the summer =) They really are all worth reading, though. A summer of Madeleine L'Engle, in my opinion, is a very worthwhile one.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Audrey said...

hmm... maybe the SF public library? You could get Amy to go with you sometime, and you could check them out. I'd offer to mail them, but I got 3 of the 4 from the library. I don't think they'd really like me sending them six hours northward.

I'm excited about my Madeleine L'Engle summer. Thank goodness for whoever wrote my wonderful summer reading list, huh? =)

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home