tales of audrey the girl and theo the newt

stories and thoughts about a girl named audrey, her cold-blooded but lovable newt theo, and the extraordinary adventures of everyday life

Thursday, April 06, 2006

study break

One of my roommates commented tonight that she was sure that we (the entire group of us) weren't going to stay friends after this year. That made me a little bit sad. I think I'm generally an optimist - I would rather imagine we'll get together and eat lunch or go out for ice cream than just be certain that we will not. I don't know -she said that she has just learned to let go of friendships when the time is right, and not really care when that happens. She also commented that it'll be impossible to stay friends, anyway, because of the distance - she'll be out-of-state first semester, I'll be out of the country, and the other two (I'm not counting the fifth, for obvious reasons) will be here, in Atlanta.

I guess that's what really got me thinking... I'm so glad that my closest friends don't buy into that idea. My accountability group has already decided we're going to be "international pen pals" next year. My two closest friends at school have made me promise emails and letters; one of them already showed her willingness to write long, thoughtful correspondence this past summer. And my best friend... I think our entire friendship is proof that distance isn't something that can prevent friendship. Now we're learning that time isn't enough to stop a friendship, either. I guess I feel like that's how it SHOULD work, you know? That the only thing that can stop a friendship is the very thing that starts it - God's huge, incomprehensible plan. It makes me sad to see people writing off relationships just because distance, time, and busy-ness seem to work against them.

I guess I should get back to work... organic chemisty is waiting for me, 11 hours from now. Yuck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home