tales of audrey the girl and theo the newt

stories and thoughts about a girl named audrey, her cold-blooded but lovable newt theo, and the extraordinary adventures of everyday life

Thursday, February 16, 2006

something in the air

I love spring and fall. Without a doubt, those are my top two seasons. (Hmm... it seems dumb to say that, but I'm going to keep it.) I guess I've never really thought about why, and I just figured that it was because of the mild weather associated with them. But then, this morning, it hit me. See, today is the first "real" day of of spring we've had in Atlanta. Granted, we haven't seen the last of winter. It will be in the 40s and raining again before the week is over. But today was pure spring. Anyway, back to the story. Today, this morning, it hit me. The reason I love spring isn't because of its moderation, but because of its possibility to be so much more than that. Are you following? Probably not. Let me try to explain a little better. =)

When I think of spring, I think of those days where I have a sweatshirt or jacket on, and the weather is just perfect. The sun is shining, but it's not hot enough to make me sweat. The trees are blowing, but I don't feel like I'm in the middle of a tornado. And in the shade, a chill runs across my skin. But what I REALLY love about spring isn't just those qualities, but that they are on the verge of being so much more. I love that the perfect spring morning can take you anywhere -- from a hot, sunny day to a cool, stormy evening. I see God in those spring mornings, you know? I see Him in the days that start hot and end hotter, too. But on those scorching-hot days, I see Him in one particular way. In the spring, it's different. I see Him not as what He is accomplishing in that moment, but as a powerful God who could do ANYTHING. Those spring days have potential. God could take them anywhere, and I'm reminded of all that He can do, all at once.

I woke up this morning and felt spring all around me. I dont just mean that I felt the beautiful weather. I felt the possibilities of everything God could do with my life: all of the ways He could use me, all of the ways He could teach me, all of the ways He could love me. I have the opportunity to serve and grow. How? I have no idea. But I tell you what... I'm just walking. And whether God sends lightning or sunlight, I can't wait to watch and walk through it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Claire Elizabeth said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Claire Elizabeth said...

Hmm... I don't think I knew you were so philosophical. It's pretty writing, though, and you have a good point - spring always makes me feel hopeful, too.

Unfortunately, here it's currently 21 degrees, windy, and raining inconsistently.

12:35 AM  
Blogger Audrey said...

yeah... my philosophical moments are few and far between. and, often, the night before a test that I don't feel like studying for. Don't worry: I'm sure my usual rambling, pointless metaphors will be far more frequent than my philosophy. =)

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home