tales of audrey the girl and theo the newt

stories and thoughts about a girl named audrey, her cold-blooded but lovable newt theo, and the extraordinary adventures of everyday life

Thursday, February 23, 2006

I've been meaning to do this for a couple of days now...

This week has been hectic, but while walking to and from class, meetings, etc., I've thought of a couple of things that might be worth sharing with the world (or the very very tiny corner of the world which reads this =)).

I realized last night that I have a fear of growing up. One specific area, I guess. I'm scared to hit a point where I'm a person who makes decisions her parents do not approve of. Maybe this is merely evidence of an issue with approval-seeking behavior, but I sort of think it's not that simple. I just have always been "the good kid," the one who never got in trouble for doing anything, and the one who got approval from her parents before making any decisions of significance. And not that the choices I would make would be bad (I don't plan to take up a life of sex and drugs, drop out of school, and work the graveyard shift at Walgreens), but I think that I'm at a point where I could make some decisions that my parents might not thing are the best. Am I making sense? Probably not. I guess I think that's some sort of mark of adulthood - making decisions that you decide are in your best interest, regardless of the approval of your parents- and I'm scared to make that jump. I know my parents will support me even if they disagree with my choices; it's just hard to accept, at some point, they will disagree. And, despite this disagreement, I will have to make the choices that I believe are right. Scary.

I think I'm done for now. Maybe I'll come up with more to say later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home