tales of audrey the girl and theo the newt

stories and thoughts about a girl named audrey, her cold-blooded but lovable newt theo, and the extraordinary adventures of everyday life

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

whew

I feel like I can finally sigh and take a breath after a long week... and it's only Tuesday night. These first two days of the week have been CRAZY... lots of homework, meetings, interactions, and emotions. I think things should mellow out from here, though. Last night, I was determined to finish a problem for DSP. I looked at the clock when I finished, and it was 2 am. Tonight, I decided to finish the assignment, and I finished at 12:45... much better, I think. I feel like this semester is shaping up to be one of the best and one of the most difficult, as far as academics are concerned. DSP is SO much work, and I feel like I'm constantly either working on or avoiding some homework or lab. At the same time, though, I actually am understanding organic chemistry (!!) and even take pleasure (or something close to it) in doing my biomechanics homework.

I've really tried to get involved with the developing women's ministry at CCF over the last few weeks. We had our first meeting tonight, and it seemed like it really went well. The turnout was pretty good (50ish girls, I think), the speakers were awesome, and the atmosphere seemed fun and like a good community. The speakers talked about the things they used to define them as "good enough" - the places they drew their worth from, and how they were trapped by that. A Big Sap, an intern, and a staff member all spoke, and it was really interesting. It was also fun to hang out with some of my friends who are 4th and 5th years... there were only a couple of other 3rd year girls there, and it's nice to break out of the bubble sometimes.

Other random thoughts from the week:
- The hardest part of being an optimist is when those moments come when you realize that things DON'T always work out the way you want.
- The best part of being an optimist is that it doesn't take too long to start looking beyond the disappointment to when things will work out.
- A Big Sap (senior leader)/pretty sorority girl called me "a stud" tonight (and meant it as a compliment). I think this settles a dispute I had with my mother at one point when, after I said I was a stud, she said "honey... studs are BOYS."
- I wish I weren't such a goofy wimp about some stuff. I want ask a friend I'd like to get to know better if she'd want to go get coffee sometime, just to hang out and talk. Thus far, I haven't figured out how to go about this.
- This makes me very glad I'm not a boy. Thankfully, I will never have to ask a boy out on a date. The added pressure of there being some potential romantic involvement might, in fact, make my head explode.

That's all for now. Good night.

2 Comments:

Blogger Claire Elizabeth said...

You are the funniest and greatest person I know.

I'm really glad that you're getting involved with the women's ministry at CCF. I think it sounds really cool, and I also think it shows growth for you...there was a time when you would have been afraid to go to something like that.

I like your comments about being an optimist. I think they're pretty much the same thing I told you, though. ;)

And, um, though I hate to say it...I think your mom might be right.

stud (n)
1. a studhorse or stallion.
2. an establishment, as a farm, in which horses are kept for breeding.
3. a number of horses, usually for racing or hunting, bred or kept by one owner.
4. a male animal, as a bull or ram, kept for breeding.
5. a herd of animals kept for breeding.
6. Slang. a man, esp. one who is notably virile and sexually active.
7. Poker. stud poker.
–adjective
8. of, associated with, or pertaining to a studhorse or studhorses.
9. retained for breeding purposes.
—Idiom
10. at or in stud, (of a male animal) offered for the purpose of breeding.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Audrey said...

I think you're pretty great, as well. =)

I know that, by definition, a stud is a boy. My point was that people (and not just me) use it to mean someone who is awesome. I.e., "Thanks for all your help... you're a stud."

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home