tales of audrey the girl and theo the newt

stories and thoughts about a girl named audrey, her cold-blooded but lovable newt theo, and the extraordinary adventures of everyday life

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Yo tengo pinkeye.

Life in Mexico is both ridiculously hard and ridiculously wonderful. After almost a week and a half of pain, squinting, runny eyes, and (finally) not being able to open up my eyes at night, I decided that something more than just dry eyes was going on. So... I went to the doctor tonight. After she examined me eyes with a cell phone flashlight, she told me I had "conjuntiva," or conjuntivitis... pinkeye. Sweet. I'm taking the medicine, though, and I think it's already helping. It's hard to beat 27 peso eye drops, too. (That's roughly $2.50 USD)

Angie, our exchange coordinator, issued us two challenges for the week: 1) don't be at the house unless you're with a Mexican or there for an activity, and 2) don't take part in any activities as a group of 10. She's concerned we're using each other and the house as a crutch, and she doesnt want that. It's hard, but I agree with her. So... we'll see how it goes. I think it'll be okay, and I look forward to seeing how God uses this time.

I wake up most mornings feeling concerned about the day, but it's amazing to see the peace that God provides during my quiet time. I never doubt that I am supposed to be here, and that is amazing. I feel most alive, most secure, and most at peace when I am with people. Trips out for dinner, washers at the house, singing worship, or just talking makes me feel so good. I'm not normally an extrovert, but I think I am finally blessed enough to learn the lesson of community in the positive way, instead of the "man, I wish I weren't home alone without any of my community" way. Two of my team members hung out over here tonight, and we had such an awesome conversation. God is pretty awesome.

I should go to bed... we want to go to see some pyramids tomorrow, and we have to get over to the meeting place by 8:45 to see if there are any tickets left over. We're crossing our fingers. Hopefully, pictures and stories will soon appear on the travel blog. Cross your fingers. =)

1 Comments:

Blogger Claire Elizabeth said...

Why do you have pinkeye again? Is it something that just happens, like an infection, or something you catch, like a cold? It seems weird to me. Take care of your eyes, ok?

Take this opportunity to branch out and make some new Mexican friends! And then bring me home a Mexican boyfriend.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home