tales of audrey the girl and theo the newt

stories and thoughts about a girl named audrey, her cold-blooded but lovable newt theo, and the extraordinary adventures of everyday life

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

In Walking on Water, Madeleine L'Engle says that she thinks one reason young people still connect to and love Pachelbel's Canon is that it provides a structure, a consistency that they crave in this hectic world. When I read that, it struck me as interesting, but I didn't think about it for long. Today, it popped back into my head as I was halfway through playing Pachelbel's Canon on the piano. It's less than 24 hours until the first leg of my trip, and maybe I'm craving a little bit of structure. I don't play piano or guitar nearly as much as I want to, but it seems that music is always there for me when I need a diversion. For that reason, I'm very glad that I'm going to be able to take my guitar with me to Mexico. I think it will provide a great form of stress relief and relaxation while I am there.

I'm nearly done packing, and it's making this all very real. It's still hard to believe, though, that I'm leaving TOMORROW. Crazy.

It still blows my mind, how supportive people people have been of this whole experience. A cousin with whom I have corresponded for a couple of years, but have never met, sent me a long, thoughtful letter with a contribution for my mission expenses that I'm fairly sure is beyond what her means should allow. Today, my boss sent me a check and something even more valuable - a short note telling me that he's "very proud" of me, and that he knows I'll make great contributions to the world. From a guy who has known me (and teased me profusely) for half of my life, that really means something to me. My best friend has been a constant source of encouragement, even when it takes the form of correspondence I require her to write. =)

It's time for "Jeopardy!" (The show has an exclamation mark, I'm not THAT excited about the show), so I'm going to head upstairs. It's my last day of Jeopardy! for a few months... I need to take advantage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home