tales of audrey the girl and theo the newt

stories and thoughts about a girl named audrey, her cold-blooded but lovable newt theo, and the extraordinary adventures of everyday life

Sunday, August 13, 2006

esta bien

A few quick highlights from the day:

- This was last night, but a highlight, still: talking to my best friend on her birthday.

- Church at Torre Fuerte (strong tower). Especially singing "Glorioso Rey," the Spanish version of "My Glorious." It's SO cool to hear and experience worship in a language other than my own. It was just REALLY neat.

- Getting a roommate. Well... I actually am still terrified by this. But I have one. I am 99% positive she is a "fresa"... the word literally means "strawberry," but it means the uber-cool, pretty, made-up girls. They can be nice, but are known primarily for the fact that they ALWAYS look good. Her boyfriend, though, was really nice... he studied for a year at Ohio State, and he talked to my friend Kassie and me while he waited for her to unpack. I think my roommate is nice, just about as comfortable with her English as I am with my Spanish. =)

- A wonderful conversation with a team member. It was just really cool, just to realize how similar I am to someone on my team, and how much we both want to learn from each other. We talked about some good stuff, and I think it will be really cool to see what happens as our whole team bonds during the semester.

- Hanging out with two team members and one of their roommates. The roommate, a freshman who knows VERY little English, was so fun. We spoke Spanish for well over an hour. We weren't good, but she was patient, understanding, and hilarious. The highlight of that was definitely when I told her that owning the Spice Girls CD made my mom pregnant ("embarazado") instead of embarrassed ("avergonzado"). Nice.

- Watching "Arrested Development" with the exchange team... especially the episode when Gob tries to figure out who "Hermano" is, and Buster finally explains that "Hermano" is Spanish for "brother," leading to the line that made us all crack up:

Buster: "Yeah... it means brother. As in 'hey hermano...'"

Funny if you can imagine the Buster voice. Even funnier if you are living in Mexico and ask people if they have any "hermanos" on a daily basis, as you get to know them.

I guess that's all for now. Life is still good, and I'm hoping classes go well. I have been told the language teachers are really pretty understanding, and that I should be fine. I'm just going to try my hardest, and I'm doing my best to trust God. I know He will provide. That's pretty awesome to know.

1 Comments:

Blogger Claire Elizabeth said...

Aw, you're having fun. I'm glad for you.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home